FAQ – Town Clerk’s Office
Town Hall is currently closed to the public due to COVID-19. Staff is in the office several days a week.
- Land Recordings: should be mailed in, preferably, by USPS.
- Vital Record Copies: certified copies of births, deaths and marriages may be obtained by emailing request with copy of I.D. to email@example.com and making online payment at: https://client.pointandpay.net/web/TownofDurhamClerk/
- Hunting/Fishing Licenses: purchase online at: https://ct.aspirafocus.com/internetsales
- Notary Services: suspended indefinitely. Contact your bank for notary services.
- Dog Licenses: mail-in only at this time. Currently working on providing an online dog licensing system. Late fees will begin in August instead of July due to COVID-19.
- Marriage License: during COVID-19, marriage licenses may be obtained by any town clerk if the town clerk's office in the town you are to be married in is closed.
- Elections/ Primaries: see information, including absentee ballot applications at: https://www.townofdurhamct.org/Election-information .
- Call the office anytime if you have questions or need additional assistance: 860-349-3453
Q. Is the Town Clerk’s office open late?
A. Yes, the Town Clerk’s office is open late on Tuesday nights, until 7:00 p.m. except during the summer months of July and August.
Q. How do I obtain information on a property in Durham?
A. The Town of Durham website has information under “Assessment Information” about all parcels of land in the town. From this site you can print the “field card” and “assessor maps.” The field card is a summary of information on each property. The Volume and Page of the deed is noted on the field card.
Durham Land records are available online at: https://www.searchiqs.com/ctdur/Login.aspx . You can view land records free of charge. Copies are $1.50 per page. You may come to the Town Clerk's office and research land records during operating hours.
Q. Where do I get a dog license and do I need one every year?
A. You obtain the dog license from the Town Clerk’s office. You must provide paperwork from the vet showing, 1) rabies expiration date, and, 2) spaying or neutering, and complete form for new dog at: https://www.townofdurhamct.org/filestorage/28562/27556/27777/27793/2017_Application_for_Dog_License_-_revised_Fillable.pdf . Mail information, payment and self-addressed stamped envelope to: Town Clerk, P. O. Box 428, Durham, CT 06422. Connecticut State Law requires that all dogs be licensed every June (current fee for fixed dog is $8.00, fee for unfixed dog is $19.00). For every month after June there is a $1.00 late fee added per month.
B. Per Connecticut law dogs must be licensed every year in June. Licenses are effective July 1st, therefore, rabies information must have a date of at least July 1st when licensing in June.
Q. How do I obtain a Marriage License and what is the fee?
A. You must apply for a marriage license from the town clerk in the town you are to be married in. The marriage license costs $50.00. Both bride and groom must come in person and have proof of identity (driver’s license etc.). Link to application: https://www.townofdurhamct.org/filestorage/28562/27556/27777/27803/Marriage_License_Fillable_Application_Worksheet_Revised_2018.pdf
Q. Is there a Notary in Town Hall and is there a fee?
A. There is a notary in the Town Clerk’s office and in the Building Department. There is no fee for Durham residents and a $5.00 fee for non-residents. Town Clerk Office will not notarize a Last Will and Testament or I9 forms.
Q. What is the Post Office phone number in Durham
A. (860) 349-3350
Q. When is the Durham Fair
A. The Durham Fair is always the last FULL weekend in September.