• Education
  • Business & Commerce
  • Municipal Government
  • Community
  • Emergency Services

FAQ – Town Clerk’s Office

Town Hall is open.  Many services are available online.  

  • Land Recordings: can be mailed in, or delivered in person.
  • Vital Record Copies:  certified copies of births, deaths and marriages may be obtained by emailing request with copy of I.D. to kgarvis@townofdurhamct.org and making online payment at: https://client.pointandpay.net/web/TownofDurhamClerk/
  • Hunting/Fishing Licenses:  purchase online at:  https://ct.aspirafocus.com/internetsales
  • Notary Services:  Available in the Town Clerk's office, Building Department and Library.  You may also contact your bank for notary services.
  • Dog Licenses:  The online portal is available June 1st to August 31st only, for dogs licensed the previous year.  Renewals may also be mailed in with current rabies certificate and payment.  Late fees begin in July ($1.00 per month, per dog after June 30th).
  • Marriage License:  The application is available online.  Both parties must appear in person to receive the oath, sign the license and to present I.D. and payment.
  • Elections/ Primaries:  see information, including absentee ballot applications at: https://www.townofdurhamct.org/Election-information .
  • Call the office anytime if you have questions or need additional assistance:  860-349-3453

Q. Is the Town Clerk’s office open late?

A.  After hours, by appointment only, on Thursdays except during the summer months of July and August.

Q. How do I obtain information on a property in Durham?
A. The Town of Durham website has information under “Assessment Information” about all parcels of land in the town. From this site you can print the “field card” and “assessor maps.” The field card is a summary of information on each property. The Volume and Page of the deed is noted on the field card. 

Durham Land records (1947 to present) are available online at:  https://www.searchiqs.com/ctdur/Login.aspx .  You can view land records free of charge.  Copies are $1.50 per page.  You may make an appointment to research records before 1947. 

Q. Where do I get a dog license and do I need one every year?
A. You obtain the dog license from the Town Clerk’s office. You must provide paperwork from the vet showing, 1) rabies expiration date, and, 2) spaying or neutering, and, complete an application for new dogs.  
Mail information, payment and self-addressed stamped envelope to:  Town Clerk, P. O. Box 428, Durham, CT 06422.  Current fee for altered dog is $8.00, fee for unaltered dog is $19.00. 
B.  Per Connecticut law dogs must be licensed every year in June.  Licenses are effective July 1st, therefore, rabies information must have a date of at least July 1st when licensing in June.  For every month after June there is a $1.00 late fee added per dog, per month. 

Q. How do I obtain a Marriage License and what is the fee?
A. You must apply for a marriage license from the town clerk in the town you are to be married in. The marriage license costs $50.00. Both parties  must come in person and have proof of identity (driver’s license etc.).  Marriage Application

Q. Is there a Notary in Town Hall and is there a fee?

A. There is a notary in the Town Clerk’s office, Building department and Library. There is no fee for Durham residents and a $5.00 fee for non-residents. Town Clerk Office will not notarize a  Last Will and Testament or I9 forms.

Q. What is the Post Office phone number in Durham?
A. (860) 349-3350

Q. When is the Durham Fair?
A. The Durham Fair is always the last FULL weekend in September.