Pistol Permit Application
Please gather the following information. The last step will be to book an appointment with the Office of the First Selectman to submit your application and required documentation:
1.) Fingerprints; get fingerprinted at:
Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Effective June 15, 2020, DESPP-HQ Fingerprint Identification Unit will re-open for in person fingerprinting requests by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Appointments will be taken from 8:30am- 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
To schedule your appointment visit https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP and follow the prompts.
2.) Applicant’s ORIGINAL certified birth certificate or valid passport; no photocopies.
3.) Certificate or letter attesting to the applicant’s competence with a handgun signed by one of the following:
·NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
·NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor
·Gun Club Officer
The course of instruction must consist of no less than the NRA’s “Basic Pistol Course.”
4.) A recent photo of applicant. If valid driver’s license or valid passport is CURRENT, this can be provided as a photo.
5.) Provide 3 checks: please have checks made out in advance
· Check in the amount of $13.25 for Federal background check made payable to Treasurer – State of Connecticut.
· Check in the amount of $75.00 for State background check made payable to Treasurer – State of Connecticut.
· Check in the amount of $70.00 for application fee made payable to the Town of Durham.
6.) Fill out DPS-799-C: Application for permit to carry pistols and revolvers.
· Applications can be found at www.ct.gov/despp under forms, Special Licensing and Firearms;
· www.townofdurhamct.org - Municipal Government, Permits and Licenses;
· Sent via mail or email, contact: email@example.com or 860-349-3625
Please note that the signature on the application must be notarized. Notary services provided by the Town Clerk's office, Building Department or Durham Library. You may also contact your bank, UPS Store or National Notary Association for notary services. The application must be complete and notarized before step 7
7.) Book an appointment with the Office of the First Selectman:
Once you have gathered all the documents listed, please make an appointment by contacting; firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-349-3625 or https://townofdurhamct.org/appointment/schedule