Pistol Permit Application Process
Pistol Permit process in a PDF
Pistol permit applications are processed through the Office of the First Selectman, Town Hall.
Town of Durham Pistol Permit Application Process
To obtain a pistol permit in the Town of Durham, you must do the following:
1.) Fill out DPS-799-C: Application for permit to carry pistols and revolvers.
- Applications can be found at www.ct.gov/despp under forms, Special Licensing and Firearms
- www.townofdurhamct.org Municipal Government, Permits and Licenses;
- In the Office of the First Selectman, Town Hall.
Please note that the signature on the application must be notarized. There is a notary available at the Town Hall.
2.) Forward the completed application to the Office of the First Selectman with the following documents:
- Fingerprints; get fingerprinted at:
Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
Special Licensing and Firearms Unit
1111 Country Club Road
Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:15 pm, Monday – Friday. There is a $15.00 fee.
- Applicant’s ORIGINAL certified birth certificate or valid passport; no photocopies.
- Certificate or letter attesting to the applicant’s competence with a handgun signed by one of the following:
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor (or)
NRA Home Firearms Safety Instructor (or)
Gun Club Officer.
The course of instruction must consist of no less than the NRA’s “Basic Pistol Course.”
- Provide a recent photo of applicant. If valid driver’s license or valid passport is CURRENT, this can be provided as a photo.
- Provide a check in the amount of $12.00 for Federal background check made payable to Treasurer – State of Connecticut.
- Provide a check in the amount of $50.00 (see comment below) for State background check made payable to Treasurer – State of Connecticut.
(Effective 12/1/2017 the State of CT fee will increase to $75.00)
- Provide a check in the amount of $70.00 for application fee made payable to the Town of Durham.